My account of life both on and off of two wheels...... "At least I'm enjoying the ride"

Friday, May 25, 2012

Redirecting my energy.

I had two Pilates instructor training workshops back to back this month.

They were held on both Saturday and Sunday and were all day classes. During these workshops, I am learning new exercises and being trained on the equipment. We practice the exercises together and followed by teaching them to one another: learn, practice and teach. By the time Sunday afternoon rolls around, we are all usually maxed out both physically and mentally from the long days of classes.

This most recent workshop was exhausting, but also exhilarating. It was the most intense workshop I have attended yet, but so much more of it really made sense than it has in the past. I feel like everything is starting to come together with the understanding of the material and the exercises. My body and mind is connecting to these exercises and I am really looking forward to taking on clients very soon. I have still many hours (a few 100 hours or so) of teaching and practice that I will need to be completely Balance Body certified. I also have three more workshops to attend. Two of these are back tracking in terms of the curriculum unfortunately, since I missed a couple of workshops after my surgery in October. The next one is going to be anatomy and is causing me quite a bit of anxiety. I learn best through doing and less through book study, so I really have my work cut out for me. I am hoping that my new found connection to these exercises will help me piece together all the anatomy.

As I have previously mentioned, I am involved in the planning of the first annual bike ride fundraiser for Body Wise Connection. It is coming up quickly on June 2 so I have been really focused on all the details of this event. So far, the pre-registration has been pretty successful and I have had really great support. Some friends and family have generously made donations and some friends are volunteering their time to be ride support or signing up to participate in the event. This event is one of the main sources of funding for this program, so we are hoping for riders but donations are also welcome for those that cannot attend the event.

That was my shameless plug...

Between work being very busy these days, my Pilates studies and my volunteer work, it has left less time for riding my bike. Strangely, I am okay with that. Sometimes it is good for me to step away and take a break, especially since I was feeling a bit frustrated with my fitness and skill. I have been riding, just not obsessing about it. I have just had to redirect my energy to other things and there is just not enough time or energy for it all.

We are coming into a 3 day weekend so riding my bike will defiantly be on the menu for the weekend. 

Speaking of menu...

I made the most delicious meal the other night.

Grilled Wild Salmon w/lentils and fresh mango salsa.
G and I celebrated our 3 year anniversary of our first date. It was May 23, 2009 when I knew I had found the guy for me. We have been through so much together in such a short period of time. Thankfully, most young couples do not have to endure illness hijacking their lives the way G and I have. It is hard to believe that tomorrow is two years since my bilateral mastectomy! We continue to struggle with some of the aftermath of the storm but I have to say, my guy has stood by my side through it all. I am so grateful to have him in my life.

Have a great weekend everyone.

S.M.

1 comment:

  1. I've never met your guy, but I'm pretty sure he's the best. And that's what you deserve!!! Congrats on 3 years! Sophia.

    ReplyDelete